The treating therapist conducts weekly family therapy.
- Accessing parents personal narratives and emotional strengths and weaknesses.
- Creating therapeutic movement between parents and student.
- Providing psychoeducation on healthy family dynamics, necessary parental structure and boundaries, bottom line rules, and principles of attachment, communication, and relationship.
- Experiencing principles of Unconditional Love/Trust & Privileges.
- Implementing plan for continued relationship and progress (bottom lines, interventions).
- Addressing realities of resistance (beginning grieving, accepting loss, facing different trajectories).
- Assessing and evaluating the students and parents emotional and behavioral ability to reunify (realities of being able to come home).
- Establishing parent future focus.
Parents spend therapeutically organized time engaged in activities and experiential events, engaged with their student while received connection with other parents, staff, and therapists at Calo. Retreats provide an opportunity to learn, grow, and experience practical skills for establishing a secure relationship through the CASA model with their student.
Parent Support Groups
Meet and share with other parents experiencing similar grief and challenges. Facilitated by a Masters level Therapist, parent support groups are a great opportunity to be vulnerable and to learn you are not alone. Through vulnerability and support, we learn to accept our realities and move forward in a constructive way.
Calo believes in a systemic approach to treatment. The family system and especially the role of parents/guardians is critical in helping students find a secure base of healthy relationships and long-term success. As a result, Calo encourages families to visit at least every 6-8 weeks. During these visits, as well as during family therapy sessions, family relationships and parenting are directly coached.
Family Social Calls
Each student is also eligible for a weekly telephone call with parents. These phone calls are intentionally less supervised and provide an opportunity for students and families to interact genuinely.
Family Home Visits
As students progress in their treatment, an important step for growth is experiencing home life without the walls and safety of Calo. Therefore, all home visits are approved by the treatment team and should be “therapeutic visits.” Please be aware that home visit policies are dramatically different depending on the needs of each family. Each student’s holiday plans will be made in accordance with his/her progress, personal needs, the needs of the family and the guidelines of the treatment team. If the student remains on campus during a holiday, family members are encouraged to spend time with their student on campus.